Abodes of lord Shiva

84. Arulmigu Mangalambikai sameda Avoor Pasupatheeswarar Temple - Avoor (Govindakudi)

 
Moolavar   Pasupatheeswarar, Aswanthanathar, Avurudayar
Utsavar  
Thayar   Mangalambikai, Pankajavalli
Kshethram  
Theertham   Bramha theertham, Chandra theertham, Agni Theertham, Thena Theertham
Pose & Direction  
Vimanam  
Sthala Vruksham   Arasu Tree
Paadiyavar   Sambandar
Travel Base   Kumbakonam
Nearest Railway Station   Dharasuram
 

 

Location

The temple 12 km from Kumbakonam can be reached via Patteeswaram. Bus facility is available from Kumbakonam. Nearest Railway Station is Kumbakonam & Thanjavur. Nearest Airport is located in Trichy. This Shivasthalam temple is located 8 Kms to the south-west of Patteeswaram, another Paadal Petra Sthalam. Avoor is situated on the Kumbakonam - Melattur - Thanjavur road. Nearest railway station is Dharasuram. Buses / Mini Buses ply every 15 minutes from Kumbakonam bus stand and Patteeswaram to Avoor via Govindakudy (Bus Numbers: 52/67/11/72/25/8). Direct buses (484 and 48) are also available from Thanjavur via Thiru Karugavur. One can also reach the temple from Papanasam (9kms) and Sundara Perumal Koil (5kms).

 

History

Pasupatheeswarar indicates God of cows. Shiva is believed to have descended for the holy cow Kamadenu that prayed to him by ablution with their milk on the Shivalingam to get relief from the curse of sage Vashista. A sculpture indicating the legend is present in the walls of the second precinct of the temple. Another legend associates the temple with the Saivite saint Tirumular (6th century CE). Tirumular saw a herd of cows lamenting the death of their herdsmen. Being a Siddha, he entered into the body of dead herdsman, came back alive to serve as the herdsman and sung 3000 verses in praise of Shiva. The legend is closely associated with Gomukteeswarar temple at Tiruvadurai, but is also associated with other temples like Thenupuriswarar Temple at Patteeswaram and Tirukogarnam near Pudukkottai. Another Legend, Mother Parvathi came to earth, chose this place to perform penance. The Devas – belonging to the celestial world - also came here in the form of plants and trees to worship the Goddess. The place was a jungle then. Pleased with her penance, Lord Shiva appeared before the Goddess with his Jadamudi – long hair rolled as a crown on the head. He therefore also bears the name Kavardesswarar. Patti, the calf of the divine cow Kamadenu was wise enough to know the glory of the place, made a Linga, performed abishek with its milk and prayed to Lord Shiva to stay in this place. As the Lord was worshipped by a Pasu (cow), he was named Pasupatheeswarar. Manikudam and Aswathavanam are the other names of the place. Of the two stones brought by Vayudeva in a competition with Adisesha, one is here while the other is at Nallur, according to scriptures. The presiding deity is a Swayambu Linga. King Dasaratha came here and finding only the idol of Lord Shiva, he installed the idol of Pankaja Valli and performed pooja invoking the blessings of both. On the Eastern wall opposite the Pankaja Valli Sannidhi, one finds the sculpture of King Dasaratha offering his prayers to Lord Shiva. An invisible voice indicated to him the location of ‘Pancha Bairava’ idols hidden beneath. Dasaratha located these unique idols and installed the idols of Pancha Bairava opposite the Pankaja Valli Sannidhi. This is a Parikara Sthalam for Pithru Dosham and Drishti Dosham. It is believed one would be liberated from these after offering sincere prayers to the Pancha Bairava. Seeking a handsome boy, King Dasaratha invoked the blessings of Lord Muruga at this temple. It is believed that Rama was born subsequent to the prayers offered by Dasaratha here. Hence in memory of this event, Lord Subramanya is seen in a unique posture with a bow and arrow in hand.

 

Architecture

The temple is one of the 70 madakoil built by 2nd century Chola king, Kochengat Chola. The temple is known for the Panchabairavar, the five images of Bhairavar. The temple is revered in the verses of Tevaram, the 7th century Tamil Saiva canon by Thirugnana Sambandar. This is the 21st sthalam on the southern side of river Cauvery. Kochengata Chola was a Chola king and was one of the 63 Nayanmars (Saivite saints) of Saivism. He is believed to have attained spiritual rebirth of a spider that fought with an elephant in its previous birth over the worship of the Hindu god Shiva. He had red eyes during birth as he remained in his mother’s womb a little longer. His mother, looking into the babies red eyes said Kochengkannano (in Tamil Ko=king, cheng=red, Kan=eyes), which literally means king with red eyes and hence he was named Kochengat Cholan. After becoming a king, he followed Saivism and built 70 Maadakovils, temples with elevated structure where elephants cannot reach the sanctum, in the Chola Empire. The temple has an inscription (181 of 1911) dating from the 3rd year of the rule of Rajendra Chola III (1246-1279 CE) indicating grants of land to the temple.

Arulmigu Mangalambikai sameda Avoor Pasupatheeswarar Temple
Avoor, Thanjavur - 612701
Phone: 9486303484
Temple Timings : 6.00 am to 11.00 am, 4.00 pm to 8.30 pm